Monday, July 13, 2009

Wolf or Spider? Or both!

I think I'm going to cry. I was enjoying a relaxing afternoon nap in my bed when I rolled over and opened my eyes to a GIANT Spider crawling up the curtains. I blinked twice to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. We don't have tarantulas in Pocatello. I gasped...I blinked again...it was still there...I felt all the air being sucked from my lungs...I ran down the hall screaming for Anton to come and save me from this formidable beast. He undoubtedly thought the bedroom had just started on fire or that I'd climbed out of bed just to leave my arm lying there on the pillow. He felt the panic in my voice and rushed to the room. It had been maybe fifteen seconds from the last tortuous sighting AND IT WAS GONE!! We looked (well, Anton looked) high and low to no avail. How could something so huge hide so well? I'm sure he was in a corner, saliva oozing down his hairy fangs, watching us with his eight beady eyes and twenty-seven cousins.
I've been brave up till now. I've been smashing spiders left and right for weeks now. But this, oh, this nightmarish arachnid is just too much. With a shaky hand I dialed the phone. With a quivering voice I spoke to pest control. They will be here tomorrow afternoon... and every three months after that. Thank the heavens above for chemical-weilding bug-killers.

6 comments:

Brooks said...

While I don't envy your experience, I can totally relate. Of course, here in Vegas, we have mostly cockroaches and scorpions to deal with. I think that I may have proposed to our Pest-Control man upon our first meeting. Hmm...

This post, albeit scary, was fabulous! You should write for a living.

Good luck with Aragog.

Amy S said...

GROSS! I am sure I would have had the same reaction, I HATE spiders. I hope you find the hairy beast....and soon!

Lainey said...

Haha... sorry; I'm not laughing at the misfortunate experience with Mr. Wolfy, *shudder* but it's bringing back memories of older days when Libby, Megan, and I were staying at your apartment. :D And by the way, it really was a well-written tale!

Kunz Clan said...

Creepy...we saw one outside when we were lighting off fireworks and Craig used the lighter to catch it on fire. It was a fun way to watch a spider go. Luckily we caught ours, but I hope the pest control can help you get rid of yours soon.

Erica Bazil said...

Oooo - I hate spiders. I found a black widow outside our front door last summer - scary. Hope you don't have any more run-ins with those giant ones again any time soon.

Hill Fam said...

Bugs are the worst! I hate it when you don't knwo where they went to. I miss you Syds!
Love Marta